Wednesday 26 January 2011

"Dear John" is a film based on a novel by an incredible author Nicholas Sparks. It was released in 2010. The main characters John and Savannah are played by Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried.
John is a soldier on a leave and Savannah a rich girl who doesn't drink or smoke and spends her spring break building a home for a poor family. In two weeks they fall in love, but Savannah has to go back to school and John back on a mission. They stay with each other through writing letters all the time. Their love still lives when John comes home for couple of days, but because of 9/11 John feels the duty to reenlist in the Army. And Savannah decides she can't wait forever.
I've seen "Dear John" twice now. At the first time, I really liked it, but for the second time it wasn't the same. I guess it's a film I can only watch once because at the second time it didn't have the same effect. Both actors look amazing, but as for the acting, I think that Tatum just can't reach Seyfried's level. However, they do have a wonderful chemistry. And of course there is an exception. The letter John writes to his father and Channing reading it – this is definitely the best part of the film, the most heartbreaking moment. I like the storyline and characters (but I guess that's where we should mostly thank Nicholas Sparks), but I don't like the ending. It just leaves too much hanging. And because I hate Tim, I really can't understand why Savannah gets married to him. Especially when she loves John, not Tim.
After all I think it's a good film, maybe not the best, but it's watchable. In my opinion, everybody can watch it, as it's great entertainment. And it's definitely a recommended movie for Sparks' fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment